Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Saturday, August 27, 2005

A few of my favorite things

I keep a list of quotes I've come across over the years so that I don't forget them later on. I don't retain things well, out of sight, out of mind. Anyway, here are a bunch for your enjoyment: First, some industry related examples: "Make movies that make people laugh, cry, or keep them on the edge of their seats." - Carl Laemmle Carl Laemmle founded Universal Studios, which he staffed with family members lacking in movie-making skills, thereby also founding the time-honored Hollywood tradition of nepotism. Nonetheless, I keep this quote as a reminder of what I need to do when I'm writing, although I would add "think" to the list of reactions. This next one is pretty funny given what I do for a living: "Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you would not have in your home." - David Frost The list of celebrities who should be force-fed the following advice is probably without end. From the great John Wooden: "Talent is God-given; be humble. Fame is man-given; be thankful. Conceit is self-given; be careful." This next one helped get me through the aftermath of 9/11. I started a philosophy class right about that time and this quote was in the textbook: "This is part of the infinite goodness of God, that He should allow evil to exist, and out of it produce good." - St. Thomas Aquinas A couple personal favorites (don't know who came up with the first two, so I can't give proper credit): "Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else." "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same." "Idling has always been my strong point. I take no credit to myself - it is a gift." - Jerome K. Jerome. "I pray thee, O God, that I may be beautiful within." - Socrates And a favorite from Robert Benchley: "Drawing upon my fine command of language, I said nothing."

13 Comments:

  • At 8/27/2005 04:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:19:00 PM, Blogger Portia said…

    Yeah, I've been clicking "next blog" for about a half hour, like anon, and I like yours. The Aquinas quote really drew me into your post; I do recommend reading the original work(s) (The Summa Theologica), there is much wisdom to be found there. The thought that good can come from evil gets me through quite a bit of the planet's uglinesses...

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:26:00 PM, Blogger Prayer Power said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:35:00 PM, Blogger Portia said…

    Um. I think all of those but mine are spam comments. You can turn those off in the "settings" section of the dashboard...

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:41:00 PM, Blogger NewsWatchinGirl said…

    hi. cool blog. im not spam either. :)

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 04:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8/27/2005 09:01:00 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Thanks to all of you who aren't spammers. Both of you. It must be a spammer full moon or something. I was only gone a couple hours and all hell breaks loose :)

    Portia, that philosophy class kicked my ass and it's not like I'm an idiot. It was honestly the hardest class I've ever taken and I was amazed that I got a B in it. I think the instructor may have given everyone B's just for surviving the semester - the class started out full with people wanting to add, at the end there were maybe a dozen of us left (surrounded by many, many empty desks). But it was interesting enough that I kept the textbook, and one of these days maybe I'll take your advice and check out The Summa Theologica, even though most of it will probably be beyond me.

    Thanks for commenting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home