Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Two topics for the price of one post! (a rant)

First off: Target owns my soul. Well maybe not my soul, but at least a significant portion of my bank account. If I had a firstborn they'd probably own that too. Today's haul:
  • 1 pair of pants
  • 5 shirts (this is not frivolous girl shopping, I need clothes. also shoes, which even I don't buy at Target)
  • 2 bras (can never have too many of those)
  • 6-pac cotton undies (the everyday ones...plus a 7th bonus pair!)
  • resealable sandwich bags
  • light bulbs
  • clock radio (I busted the old one shutting it off rather forcefully one weekday morning)
  • multi-vitamins
  • calcium + D vitamins, because my bones and I aren't getting any younger and they were marked down to a buck
  • 3 different hair care products, because I'm worth it (and also because my hair is a mess and needs it)
  • multi-pak of sugar-free gum
  • toothpaste
  • 2 different shades of eyeshadow
  • mascara
  • chapstick
  • flashlight (the old one broke)
  • woolite
  • microwave omelet maker (I swore I'd never do it, but...)
  • pepperidge farm cookies (for that last weekend before Weight Watchers snackfest)
  • digital scale (for that last weekend before Weight Watchers shockfest..holy crap, I'm ten pounds more than I thought...)
  • bottle of wine (for recovering from this shopping trip and the scale thing)

$235 bucks later, I entered my validated parking card only to be charged $1 for parking. Because, you know, I just dropped over $200 bucks here in apparently a little over two hours (and that was without the new vacuum cleaner I desperately need, because as usual, the West Hollywood Target was so fucking picked over that all they had left were the really expensive ones that I don't need, not to mention a few other lesser items any other Target would stock in obvious places), so what's another dollar?

To me it's the principle of the thing. I've never understood the concept of being charged for parking at a place that I'm going to specifically to spend money, it irritates the hell out of me. I'm here to give you my hard earned cash, don't charge me for the privilege of showing up. I'm here to shop, don't make me watch the clock. Especially in a place like L.A. where everybody drives. Which segues cutely into the second part of the post/rant:

I fucking hate the West Hollywood Gateway shopping center. There are not words to express my disappointment, because this was me, a longtime Hollywood resident, a few years back when the project was announced: "We're getting a Target in Hollywood? And a Best Buy? And they're gonna knock down the ridiculously overpriced carwash on the corner of La Brea and Santa Monica for it while sparing the nearby landmark Formosa Cafe? With the brilliance of underground parking? YAY!!!"

I am a Target groupie and have been for years, but this particular Target has been poorly stocked and picked over from Day 1 and they don't seem inclined to improve this situation. It's like they want me to hate shopping there. I truly believe that, because otherwise I have to believe that someone whose expertise lies in the retail field is just that clueless, and I really hate and fear incredibly stupid people.

Not to mention that the person who designed the parking garage at West Hollywood Gateway should be shot, or at least physically prevented from ever designing anything again. Look, if your non-staffed, automated exit system requires staff at all exits to assist with the confusing, non-staffed, automated, payable by debit or credit card only exit system, maybe you should just put people in the booth to take tickets and cash at minimum wage, like at Beverly Connection. Or maybe just let us park ours cars there without penalty, so we can spend freely without worrying about the time. Is that too much to ask? Apparently, it is.

So, Goddamn, I hate you West Hollywood Gateway. From now on, Burbank here I come.

1 Comments:

  • At 8/28/2005 01:04:00 PM, Blogger Portia said…

    I'm commenting again, but I swear I'm not spam! :) I really dig your blog; I laughed out loud at this most recent post. May I link you?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home