Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Movies on DVD: "Sideways"

What is the problem this weekend? Make it two movies I thought I'd love that left me cold. I know it's criminal that I haven't seen "Sideways" until now and what's more surprising is that it did nothing for me. I mean, great acting, gorgeous scenery and mucho vino, but I just didn't get it. Just didn't feel the attraction and the only character I connected with and cared about was Sandra Oh's Stephanie, who got royally fucked over, discarded with no payoff at the end. And I love Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor's work, "Election" is a perfect movie and even "About Schmidt" was worthwhile, although I'm not going to watch that one over and over I still thought it was good, when it was over I wasn't musing about the 90 minutes of my life I'd never get back. But sadly, "Sideways" just didn't do anything for me. So I find myself wondering why the most compelling viewing I've experienced this weekend was the pilots for Ghost Whisperer and Threshold projected on the side of a mausoleum Friday night at Hollywood Forever Cemetary with Liz. It wasn't just the free blanket and tequila, either. That cannot be a good sign. On the other hand, I got to briefly see Carla Gugino, Brent Spiner, Peter Dinklage and Aisha Tyler (somebody give this girl her own series!) in person. And Liz got to see her beloved Jennifer Love Hewitt, who has never really done anything for me, but who was actually pretty decent in the "Medium" knockoff. Next up: "Finding Neverland". I really want to love this one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home