Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Wild Horses and the Burns Amendment

This piece of shit, aka The Burns Amendment, apparently snuck through legislature about a year ago with little to no public scrutiny. Given the state of the world I can't really blame the public for not noticing. The politician in question? I can really blame him. Asshole. I'm a horse lover and I just now stumbled across this tonight checking out some old links including this one for a wild horse sanctuary that I bookmarked some time back when I saw them profiled on an Animal Planet show. How ironic that this sleazy trick of sneaking legislation the author knows will be unpopular into an unrelated bill is known as a "rider". The whole point of the Wild Free-Roaming Horse & Burro Act was to protect these animals. They were already being killed off, that was the whole point of passing laws to protect them. The book I read as a horse-crazy girl about the hard work of Wild Horse Annie Bronn, no doubt romanticized to some degree but nonetheless important and factual in Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West by Marguerite Henry, a horse crazy girl's best friend, was exhausting at even a young age, the work that went into making protection of wild horses law wasn't lost even on a kid. Reading about Misty and Brighty was fun, reading about Sham, the Godolphin Arabian and tragic Kentucky Derby winner Black Gold was educational and historic, as heartbreaking as parts of their stories were. Reading about the fight to protect the mustangs was paying educational dues. It was the one book of Miss Henry's I never desired to own in childhood or adulthood because it made my beloved reading work, but I've never forgotten it and this terrible news brings it back in ways I never realized the importance of before. This one will get more attention from me, no doubt about it. I'm embarrassed I didn't know about it sooner. I stole the mustangs pic from the aforementioned website for Return to Freedom. As always, support them as best you can. And now I am totally missing Meadowlark. What a great horse. I want to go trail riding.

1 Comments:

  • At 11/04/2005 09:06:00 PM, Anonymous Lisa said…

    Remember King of the Wind? It was that book, that I borrowed off YOUR shelf, that made me cry out loud and long for a horse of my own. Thank you Melinda, I have beautiful memories of trail riding with you, and miss both Meadowlark and Puppylove terribly. There will NEVER be another Meadowlark. And trapped in my memories of her, you, Puppylove, and the Hacienda Horse Ranch, is the innocence of my youth. That's the first place I ever kissed a boy..............Hey, remember that time, out on the trail, when Meadowlark, for the first, and only time that I know of spooked, and you, for the first, and, well, I wouldn't say only (haha) time fell off her backwards and slit your jaw to the bone? We were at least 20 minutes ride back to the ranch (we were on that way upper trail we hardly ever went up to) and by the time we got about 5 minutes from their you had gone WAY into shock and wanted to ride Meadowlark home. Great idea. I remember having to argue with you that it probably wasn't the greatest idea you ever had. But we got you home and off you went with Mom to get the stitches you'd earned...............Remember riding the horses through the Jack-in-the-Box drive thru?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home