Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Saturday, November 26, 2005

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Sweet Jesus it was gorgeous out today. Cool and crisp, with morning breezes that have worked up to some pretty impressive winds by late afternoon, all capped by a crystal clear blue sky. A great day to be out and I was, getting my Christmas shopping started (and getting some stuff for myself of course). This is what I refer to as "Rose Parade" weather, because on January 1 or 2, when the parade is televised worldwide the weather is always like this, just colder because it's the middle of winter. But nothing like the snow and storms people in other parts of the country associate with January. I always wonder how many people are prompted to move here after watching the parade because they think every day in every part of Southern California is just that perfect. In fact, it has only rained on the parade nine times in its entire history. This and additional Rose Parade FAQs can be found here. Hollywood Boulevard is pretty much shut down at this point in preparation for the annual Hollywood Christmas Parade tomorrow. I don't know if I'll actually go out there, jaded as I am. I went a few years back and it was basically a collection of C-list celebrities, mostly from TV (except for the grand marshal, who is usually a B-lister), really beautiful vintage cars and best of all, gorgeous equestrian units. There's also a number of high school marching bands from small towns in other states and the L.A. Times always carries a small article about how the schools held bake sales and the like to finance the trip and how they do the tourist stuff while they're here, Disneyland and Universal Studios and the like. Last time I went, I found myself standing behind some people whose kids were in one of those bands and they went bonkers when their kids marched by. It was very sweet and impossible not to be excited for them. The grand marshal this year is our mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa. I think he was a great choice, a good change from the usual. But the real guest of honor always brings up the rear of the parade: Santa Claus. It's cute to see the kids get all caught up in his arrival and just thinking about it is softening me up. Okay, maybe I will go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home