Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Color me surprised

As we all know by now, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declined to commute Stanley "Tookie" Williams' death sentence and his execution has been carried out. From what I'm hearing on the news from journalists who witnessed the execution, his supporters who were present behaved shamefully in the presence of his victims' families and Williams himself didn't exactly go stoically. I can't remember ever hearing about these kind of theatrics going on while a death sentence is being carried out. I have to say that I was amazed when I heard about the Governator's decision. I was certain he would commute if for no other reason than the feeling that it would be politically advantageous for him to do so, largely based on the high-profile support Williams received, rather than respecting the sentence passed down nearly a quarter century ago. Yeah, I'm jaded that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home