Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Grove: A love/hate relationship

I love the Grove. At least I try really hard to love it and more importantly patronize it. It's beautiful, has great shops and is home to the historic Farmers Market (meet me at Third and Fairfax!). And it makes Hollywood & Highland look like it was designed by idiots, which it probably was. Sad but true. And Hollywood & Highland doesn't have a fountain or a trolley. But as much as I love the Grove, I hate parking there. This is Los Angeles, therefore I can't shop if I can't park. The thing about the much inferior Hollywood & Highland is that I don't have to deal with parking, I can walk there from both home and office. So as much as I love the Grove, we don't see much of each other. Not nearly as much as I'd like. Oh how I would love to give the Grove more of my paltry, hard-earned cash. But the Grove makes it so difficult, what with it's gridlocked location and freaky parking situation that refuses to show me the love. I've approached the Grove from the parking structure off Beverly and from Fairfax in front of Cost Plus. Both suck on a normal, regular weekend. During the holidays? You have to be a world-class masochist to even think about going there. That's the thing about L.A. So much cool stuff, so much traffic and gridlock and crowds and did I mention the traffic? It reminds me of Indy's line from Raiders: "It's not the years, it's the mileage". In L.A., it's not the distance, it's the traffic. And the parking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home