Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Why the hell was I in such a great mood today?

It wasn't getting out of work early - I shouldn't have been there in the first place. I have the great fortune to work for what is probably the only entertainment industry company that doesn't go on hiatus for at least the week between Christmas and New Years. Even my usual, generally pissy attitude went on hiatus today. And furthermore, apparently it showed. A co-worker asked me if I had a hot date or something, because apparently I looked way better than usual (not that that would be hard to do). I chalked it up to being sad proof of the Hollywood stereotype that letting the hair down and going from glasses to contacts means going from mousy librarian type to hot stuff (or as close to hot stuff as I'm gonna get, which isn't really that close, unless you like big girls. But still, someone noticed...) Then I went to lunch and went shopping because I was just in the mood to buy pretty happy things. Which I did. I bought pretty shopping lists with a pretty kitty on the front and a magnet on the back. I bought a 3-pack of pretty notepads with elaborate Mary Engelbreit cutout designs and words of wisdom on the covers ("Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is", "Happiness must be grown in one's own garden", "Don't do whatever you like, like whatever you do") and a cute journal with a chocolate bon bon on the cover. I also bought a pretty hatbox giftset that came with a journal and notecards and photo album and phone book that I have absolutely no use for. But I'm a sucker for hatboxes. In fact, the lovely Wilma was packed off to her final destination in a pretty hatbox I had lying around that was the perfect size to curl her up in. And as I type this, I realize that on a normal (non-shiny, non-happy day) I would still be at the office, watching the clock as it made its agonizingly slow march toward the magic 6pm mark. So what happened today? I have no idea. Yesterday at lunch, Liz and I talked about New Years resolutions and besides the usual (lose weight, write more, this is a recording...) I really want to not let my easily bruised emotions rule my life and get the better of me. I really want a much-needed attitude adjustment. Maybe it was really kicking in. I don't know, but I do know this: it felt good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home