Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Friday, April 28, 2006

The decline of Western Civilization continues

California State Senate throws out the rulebook. Logic be damned. No wonder the rest of the country thinks we're insane. I'm especially offended by how condescending this is: By a 24-13 vote that split along party lines, the Senate approved a resolution that calls the one-day protest the Great American Boycott 2006 and describes it as an attempt to educate Americans "about the tremendous contribution immigrants make on a daily basis to our society and economy." Since the Senate is so worried about my apparent lack of knowledge on the subject, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them for their concern (really, I'm touched) and assure them that I'm not as ignorant as they like to think:

  • My great-grandparents were immigrants. They were dirt poor, had ten kids and entered the country according to the rules. I know how lucky I am to be living here, so I'm all for immigration. I wouldn't exist without it.
  • I've worked virtually non-stop my entire adult life, not because it was stuff I wanted to do, but because that's just what you do. I don't expect a medal or special treatment for it. So I know all about contributing to society on a daily basis, regardless of birthplace. In fact, I'll be at work Monday.
  • I know the meaning of the word illegal and the importance of laws.

Another day, another stupid move by our elected officials. No surprise there. The only positive I can see is that if they're busy passing resolutions that defy the legal system, that's another day they're not screwing around with the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home