Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Don't panic?

Time to address the freedom of the internet issue. I've been seeing stuff about this popping up on the net lately and wasn't really sure how real of a threat it is. I'm always torn between signing on for unnecessary hysteria or yanking my head out of the ground before it's too late. Bird flu, for example. It's all over the news and yet I don't know a single person who is actually concerned about it, much less panicking. What I do know is that if privatization of the internet were to actually occur it could only be a bad thing. I can't see any good in the idea. According to this terrific post at L.A. Voice, the threat against "net neutrality" is very real and happening now. God damn I hate politicians. Don't they have anything better to do than sell off the internet to the highest bidder? Isn't there anything else going on that they could be dealing with, like skyrocketing gas prices, homeless and hungry people, crime, war and environmental issues? Nevermind, I already know the answer to that. Here are some helpful links via L.A. Voice: The Internet Freedom Fight: A Roundup Save the Internet Online petition Blogher on net neutrality Not really a fan of the Huffington Post, but here's a great article on the subject. Some of the offending names I'm seeing are AT&T, Verizon and Comcast. Normally I don't have time for this, but if these companies do actually manage to take control of the net away from the people, I will make the effort necessary to find alternatives. Currently AT&T is my landline phone company and I was going to go to Verizon for my cell phone. I also thought I read somewhere recently that Comcast is trying to buy Adelphia, my cable company. I may actually break down and join the dish nation. The more I read about this, the more it's pissing me off. Damn, I'm starting to feel politically active. It will certainly be interesting to see how this vote goes. Updated: To add the Blogher link from Liz, because unfortunately this appears to be the real deal. Looks like our elected officials don't care about us and think we're stupid. Why am I not surprised?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home