Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Why thank you, Best Buy!

A couple months ago my desktop gave up the ghost and my laptop promptly picked up a virus when I took it online. It's the first time this has happened to me and believe me, I've learned my lesson about backing up and keeping the anti-virus program updated. I'm going to be positively anal about it from now on. Luckily, I had backed up all my writing the day before all hell broke loose so I'm covered there. May have lost some other stuff, but the writing was the main thing. I was dreading the potential cost of repair and also wasn't sure where to take it, so I put off dealing with it for awhile. Weeks, in fact. Eventually my brain returned from wherever it had been vacationing and it occurred to me that I should call Best Buy, after all I bought the thing there. Turns out Best Buy teamed up with Geek Squad to provide onsite service. After literally waiting twenty minutes for someone to pick up the phone I learn they have a deal for $270 which includes diagnosis, repair and installation of anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. I figured it was time to bite the bullet and get the thing fixed, especially since the cost was a lot less than I had anticipated. Not to mention how long I'd gone without internet access at home. Felt like I was living in the dark ages. So I took the mighty Vaio to the West Hollywood Best Buy. The guy told me it would be 2-3 weeks and they would try to salvage my documents. It was actually very reassuring, as I'm thinking the whole computer is shot to hell and he's acting like it's no big deal. When I got home yesterday there was a message that the laptop is fixed and ready for pickup. I called to verify how much this was going to cost and to see if they were really able to save it. The guy I talked to kind of laughed when I asked if they were able to save the documents, his response was "probably not", but that hadn't been crucial in the first place. I just want the thing working again. Here's the best part: The laptop was still under Best Buy's service plan, but I figured that didn't cover me picking up an online virus. Apparently it does. Or maybe it was something else, a malfunction or something, because total charges due... $0. No charge. I kid you not. So there was much rejoicing, although I am disgusted with myself for taking so long to figure out what to do. This was something that could have been solved weeks ago. I amaze myself sometimes, for someone who is reasonably intelligent I can be just amazingly brainless sometimes. I'm going to pick it up tonight after work, which means I'll get to hear stuff like this from my parents again: "I've been trying to call you but you've been on that fucking computer all night". Which is probably what I'm going to be doing tonight. Cannot wait. Thank you, Best Buy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home