Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Monday, June 12, 2006

Motorcycle-riding peeps, wear your damn helmets! Please!!!

So, this morning while checking out the news, saw the story about the star quarterback who got into a motorcycle accident and wasn't wearing a freaking helmet. Now I don't have the faintest idea who this guy is, but apparently he's young, just won a Super Bowl and has the world at his feet in a way few of us will ever know. In fact, possibly the only negative thing you can say about him is that he refuses to wear a helmet while riding his motorcycle despite being repeatedly lectured about it. I mean, Terry Freaking Bradshaw (now him, I know) told him to wear one and he still didn't listen. Way to enforce the dumb jock stereotype, dude. But still, hope he makes a full recovery. A short while later I learned that a former co-worker - a really great, fun guy, about my age, with a family - was killed over the weekend in a motorcycle accident. And from what I've been able to find out, he wasn't wearing a helmet either, at least not one that was up to state-approved standards. He should be at work today and his family should be going about their normal routine, not planning his memorial service. It just made me really sad, especially if we eventually find out that a helmet could have made a difference. Such a waste. On update: I've learned that he was wearing a helmet, but it wasn't up to the state-approved standards. Not sure if it would have made a difference. You're so vulnerable on a bike anyway - I would think you'd want all the protection you can get. So wear your damn helmets. It's for your own good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home