Rose Parade

Rose Parade has moved: see link in post below

Friday, August 04, 2006

Forget the so-called summer blockbusters

August and September are going to be serious movie months for me, especially since I tend to wait for DVDs unless I can snag a screening. I may have to actually spend some time in theaters in the next couple months. Opening today: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. I loved Anchorman, so I'll probably love this one too. It's playing at the Cinerama Dome, I think I'll probably skip the weekend crowds and see this next week after work. August 18: Snakes on a Plane. I really hope this one is at the Chinese. The big theater, not the 6-plex. September 8: Hollywoodland, about the death of George "Superman" Reeves. The trailer for this one looks fantastic. Let's see here: Noir, check. Historic Hollywood, check. Mysterious, unsolved death that may have been suicide, may have been murder...check. I'm in. I'm also going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say this film is going to get Ben Affleck's career out of the seemingly permanent black hole it's descended into the past few years. He's not a great actor, but I think it's perfect casting. Based on the trailer I totally buy him as Reeves. September 15: The Black Dahlia. Hmm. Noir, check. Ellroy, check. Historic L.A., check. Mysterious, unsolved murder, check. I am so there. Not thrilled about the Josh Hartnett factor, he didn't seem terribly expressive in the trailer I saw. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. September 22: Feast. I won't actually see this one (not a big fan of the genre), but this release is noteworthy to me because it was the winner of Project Greenlight 3, of which I was a judge (via my then-enrollment in Writer's Boot Camp). It was a great experience and out of the twenty scripts I judged, there were about four or five that in my opionion were very greenlight-worthy (and one that was hysterically bad - the "writer" must have had his friends bombard the Greenlight website to get it voted into the top 1000). "Feast" was not among my twenty, but it's neat to know it was somewhere in that room when we were picking up our big box-o-scripts, just waiting to make someone's filmmaking dream come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home